Have you ever heard of a time capsule wardrobe? It’s something that was brought to my attention in this video by The Anna Edit (of whom I love, so check her out). It was started by Caroline Rector (of Unfancy) when she realized she was shopping too much and not really adding anything of value to her closet. She stopped shopping for three months and only wore items from a strategically picked 37 item wardrobe. Now every 3 months (basically every season) she only adds specific items she’s missing to her wardrobe. This also means you can’t shop for three months. Eep.
So I like the idea behind this a LOT, but I think not shopping for three months and then splurging on some big items doesn’t feel doable to me. I would rather just strategically pick items every three months and buy throughout. Does that make sense? I know it’s basically the same, but homegirl needs to get her shopping bug out slowly over time. 😉 Caroline even made a free planner that you can fill out while figuring out your time capsule!
Step 1 is to purge. I am reeeeally good at this step, but I need to take it further. I purge every few months of things I don’t love, but somehow my closet is still filled to the brim (to be fair I only have one and it’s got my whole life in there). As I’m moving (!!!!) in the next couple of months I really need to go ham on my closet and purge everything. Friends, be ready, my wardrobe is comin’ at you.
But the most fun part is picking out items for the next season! Also, if you can’t get everything this season this idea is pretty cool because you can write down what pieces you still need and pull them back out for next year. Like if you want a solid pair of black boots and you 1) can’t afford them or 2) haven’t found the exact right pair then just wait and next year you might get luckier. I really adore this minimalistic idea and have been trying to emulate that in my apartment now, but I need to keep pushing out things little by little.
On to the fun part, Step 2 — What I need for winter:
So here’s my strategy. Pinterest. I literally spent about five hours the other night scrolling through pinterest and pinning all my winter fashion inspiration. A common theme occurred of the style I want. So lets dig in.
1. A long, neutral coat — I have been pinning these looks like crazy. A long coat over a sweater or sweatshirt with some ripped denim. Staple piece that is missing from my closet. I literally only have 1 red coat. Time for a neutral gorgeous thing. Found this one on Madewell, so that might be the one! Or this one from Topshop.
2. Brown Chelsea Boots — I had a pair of brown chelsea boots for years through college up to this past year when I finally had to toss them because they had a giant hole in the sole of the shoe. I wore them through New Zealand, I wore them to bars, I was obsessed with them. I immediately tried to look for a replacement and have had no such luck yet. So I’m definitely keeping my eye out and willing to splurge a tiny bit because I know I’ll wear them almost every day.
3. A classic leather belt — Again found this one on Madewell that I think will do. Once again just a staple wardrobe piece that I can always come back to that will add a little something extra to my outfits.
4. Classic White Tee — I actually already got this one, although I’ll keep you updated on how I like it as it hasn’t arrived yet. Everyone has a solid white tee that they loves, but I have yet to have found mine! So I went with this crew tee from a Hanes collab with x Karla.
5. Pair of Mules — This is definitely a little trendy, but I think I’ll get good use out of some mules if I can find some that won’t completely break the bank and are of good quality. I love these from St. Agni. Not completely sold on these from Madewell, but the price point is definitely better. I tried these ones from Everlane and they were unfortunately a little big, but so gorgeous!
I’m good on jeans for the time being and don’t have much inspiration as far as bags go! The only other thing I’d like for Winter would be an oversized chunky sweater, but I have some sweaters that may do.
What would be in your time capsule wardrobe?