Happy Friday friends! It’s almost the weekend!
For some reason I keep thinking this is a three day weekend, which is not at all true. But my brain seems to think it’s going to be a good one nonetheless. I’ve made a little wrap up of all the cool things you should be doing in Houston this weekend, so if you think you’re going to be bored and in bed this weekend – get excited!
Where to Shop:
- Independent Bookstore Day at Brazos Bookstore: Brazos Bookstore is celebrating Independent Bookstore Day in style with different events going on all day from 10:30 – 8PM! Kinda interested in the Drunk Coloring: Cormac McCarthy edition. 😉
- Flea Style Houston Spring Show: This is one of my favorite things to hit up at Silver Street Studios. Browse the best handmade, vintage and one-of-a-kind wares from Texas artisans & local businesses. 120+ vendors offering art, furniture, paper goods, fashion, jewelry, dog gear and more. They’ll also have drinks, live music, and more! It’ll be on Saturday from 9-5PM.
Where to Eat:
- Presidio in the Heights: On Saturday and Sunday this weekend there will be bands playing at one of the Heights’ newest restaurants. I’ve been here twice now and can attest to the yummy drinks and food. The patio is a bit more casual and indoors has the best vibe. Def check it out if you’re looking for weekend eats.
- 1st ever Heights Beer & Cheese Fest: Antidote Coffee is hosting the first ever beer and cheese fest on Sunday (April 30). So grab a beer and enjoy some cheese from Houston Dairy Maids!
- Better Luck Tomorrow: This bar just took over Dry Creek in the Height on 544 Yale and JUST had a soft opening yesterday (April 27). Y’all are going to want to check it out and let me know how it is – if I don’t get there first.
Where to Party:
- Frida Festival: The 12th annual Friday Kahlo festival starts today and carries on until late Saturday with multiple events and an outdoor festival. Things included are an Art Exhibition, Frida Look Alike Contest, Frida Loteria game nights, and an outdoor market!
- Sixth Ward Block Party: On Saturday from 1-8PM all the local favs from 6th ward will be having a carnival-like celebration, including a giant inflatable hungry hungry hippo game. Join Beavers, Henderson Heights, Liberty Station, and more for special release kegs, live music, games, and more.
- Critical Mass: This monthly bike ride throughout Houston is a great way to start the weekend. Grab your friends and your bikes and hit the road while listening to music and meeting other fun houstonians.
Where to get Artsy:
- CAMH Opening Reception: Atlas, Plural, Monumental: Celebrate the opening of “Atlas, Plural, Monumental,” Paul Ramírez Jonas’s first survey exhibition in the Americas. Many of the pieces in the exhibition invite viewers to participate and activate the work, which is pretty cool. This starts tonight from 6:30 – 9PM!
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Beamer): This event is at the Menil on Saturday (april 29) and is free to the public. Originally inspired by artist Rafaël Rozendaal’s Berlin events, this has become a Houston tradition for participants and picnicking audiences alike. This should be a super cool event and very chill. With all our california weather lately, this might be where I’m at tomorrow.
- The First 100 Days: This event, held at the Silos off Sawyer Steet from 6-8PM on Saturday, is hosting an art exhibition on artist’s takes on Trump’s first 100 days in office.
Enjoy houston this weekend, friends! It’s going to be a fun one!