I’m back with another weekend guide of what to do in Houston this weekend! I like doing these because I’m constantly finding cool stuff to do in this Bayou City and yet a lot of my friends don’t know there’s anything going on. That’s about to change! Hoping to make this into a little series because of how much I love this city and because I love getting out and doing things (#doingthings lol). Not only is the weekend important, but this weekend is Cinco de Mayo weekend AND Kentucky Derby! We’re in for it.
So lets get started!
Where to Shop:
- Emerson Rose Cinco de Mayo Festival on May 4th from 4 — 7 PM. My favorite Houston boutique is having beer, palomas, and 15% off all red, white and green! You can hit this up and then wander down 19th street for a nice pre-weekend relaxing night. One of my favorite things to do!
- EaDo Vintage Fest — this monthly vintage, art, music, and food fest will be Sunday from 12 — 6PM!
- Heights SWEETheart Market will be a cute way to start your Sunday and maybe pick up something for your mom (how is it may already?). It’s from 11 — 6PM and even has a free yoga class starting at 11! All the heights’ markets are a fun time, so def stop by!
- First Saturday Art Market in the Heights is this weekend! Along with some stellar shopping (once again a great time to get mom a gift), there will be food trucks and live music. Always a good way to start your Saturday from 11 — 6PM!
- MenilFest 2017 will be going down on Saturday from 11 — 6PM! This is hosted by The Gulf Coast Indie Book Fair and will be a great place to pick up a new weekend read. There will be food AND readings, so make sure to stop by especially if it’s a nice day outside.
Where to Eat:
- Cinco de Mayo at 8 Row Flint is going to be the place to be on Friday. They’ll have their usual happy hour (which is great), but then are going to continue to have $5 frozen & rocks margaritas, $5 palomas & $3 Modelo Especial & Tecate ALL DAY! Yea! Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- Bovine + Barley in downtown will be having a Kentucky Derby watch party, and they’re not the only ones. However, their’s lasts all weekend! They’ll have Woodford Reserve Julep and Food Specials all day, as well! Their chicken sandwich is drool worthy, so if you haven’t tried this place out yet maybe it’s time!
- The 45th birthday of The Hobbit Cafe is this weekend! On Saturday there will be a full day of live music and of course a unique hobbit celebration. If you haven’t eaten here before — it’s a houston staple and along with all the LOTR fandom, the food is really good.
- Presidio is having live music again this weekend, and as they’re still a new addition to the heights I thought I’d throw this in here. Great patio and indoor vibe, so bring your friends and drink the cocktails!
- Heights Bier Garten is still new, but not slacking on the events. They’re hosting their first annual Kentucky Derby social on Saturday from 2 — 5PM. May be checking this out this weekend!
Where to Party:
- Chance the Rapper is going to be in the Woodlands on Sunday! There are still tickets available, so if you’re looking for a fun way to end your weekend — this may be it!
- The 6th Annual Star Wars Art Festival is happening this weekend at The Space HTX from 12 — 7PM. This is a two day extravaganza dedicated to all things Star Wars. Definitely a fun time with food, art, vendors, cosplay and more.
Where to get Active:
- There’s an East End Hou Art Ride this weekend hosted by Bike Houston. It’s a 6 — 10 mile bike ride starting with a tour around the East End, showcasing the art scene. Get your bike ready for Sunday from 11 — 2 PM!
- The 2017 Santo de Mayo 5k is on Sunday at 8:30 — 11:30. If you’re looking for a way to run off all those margaritas from Friday, this may be your ticket! It’s hosted by Saint Arnold Brewing Company, so you know that means that there will be beer afterwards.
- BlackSwan Sundays at Raven Tower is this Sunday from 10 — 11AM. Free yoga on the Raven Tower lawn!
Where to get Artsy:
- The BYOB (Bring Your Own Beamer) event was cancelled last weekend, but that means it’s back again on May 5 for everyone to show their projections at the Menil. This should be a cool event for a Friday night, so after you’re done getting a margarita for Cinco de Mayo, make sure to stop by and lounge on the grass while people project their favorite art.
- CAMH is having an open Saturday where you get to go and create your own kite inspired by their current exhibit and artist, Paul Ramírez Jonas from 2 — 4PM!
- The Silos is hosting an Art on the Walk event on Saturday from 10 — 4PM, which should be really cool. They’re testing to see whether or not they should have more open studio time for people to come buy their products. If you haven’t been to the silos yet – DEFINITELY check this out! Not only are there cool art studios to check out, but there’s an awesome art wall right around the corner perfect for your Saturday selfie.
- The Empty Box event at Box 13 Artspace is Saturday from 7 — 1oPM and is an annual exhibition and fundraiser, and is themed! Go dressed as your favorite character from greek mythology and engage in a silent auction (or do a $5 raffle for a piece of art from one of the artists)! Definitely a fun way to do Saturday night.
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, HOUSTONIANS! And tell me what you did!