Guys! I’ve been doing these guides for over a MONTH & I’m in love. This weekend there’s a wide array of things to check out — from art markets to motorcycle nights to music festivals! Lets keep it up with What to do in Houston this weekend!
Where to Shop:
- First Saturday Arts Market on 19th Street in the Heights will be this Saturday from 6 — 10PM. This is my ideal way to spend my weekend evenings — perusing shops and getting tacos and a margarita from Torchy’s Tacos afterwards.
- June Designers Kick-Off Party for Launch is on Thursday from 6 — 8:30. LAUNCH is presenting a diverse and talented group of Houston creatives offering goods ranging from designer apparel, upcycled accessories, handmade jewelry, candles to greeting cards. There will be cocktails, light bites, and shopping. What more do you need?
- Want to get really spontaneous? There’s a pup adoption event at the Urban Harvest Farmer’s Market, Houston’s oldest & largest farmer’s market. Get some produce, but also a pup!
- Eleanora’s Market is having its Grand Opening event at Cavatore Italian Restaurant on Saturday from 9 — 11AM. They’ll have over 60 vendors selling produce, textiles, baked goods, art, flowers, and more! If you can’t make it this weekend, they’ll be back every Saturday from here on out!
Where to Eat & Drink:
- Check out Ohn Korean Eatery and Soju Bar which JUST OPENED this week from the mastermind of AKA Sushi & Tiger Den. It looks tiiiiiight.
- ANOTHER new bar/restaurant just opened in EaDo and I can’t wait to check this place out! Chapman + Kirby are having an open night party Thursday starting at 4PM. An awesome space/venue and you can be the first to figure out their menu!
- The Heights Epicurean Farmer’s Market will be on Saturday from 8:30 — 11:30 at the Grace United Methodist Church. A community event with no fee, so stop by and support local farmers, backyard gardeners, and food producers of all kinds!
- Join Edible Houston for their Birthday Party at Saint Arnold’s Brewery on Sunday from 4 — 6pM! You can enter a cake in the cake walk or just enjoy a beer & a birthday party!
- A 2nd Cup is hosting Local Fare for Local Freedom — a culinary focused fundraising event to support our efforts to abolish slavery in Houston and impact the lives of survivors of human trafficking. Attendees will vote on their favorite chef, have a chance to enter a silent auction, and more. This event will be on Sunday from 5 — 8PM!
- Cultured Cocktails at Boheme is back again. This will be on Thursday from 5 — 8PM and a portion of the proceeds will be going to Dance Source Houston!
- There will be a pop-up happy hour at The Dunlavy on Thursday starting bright and early at 2PM and going through 8PM. Bring your friends and taste some bar bites, get some specially priced boutique wine, cocktails, and more.
- Bagby Park in Midtown is hosting Wine Down on Friday from 6 — 9PM, and honestly sounds like the best time. Lawn games, great food, wine, craft beer, and frozen sake from Rico’s Morning Noon Night’s menu.
Where to Party:
- First Thursday at Mid Main is this Thursday from 6 — 10PM! They’re bringing back Urban Harvest Night Market (local food & local makers) and the proceeds are benefitting AFA, a non-profit music school. I stumbled upon the area they do this in a month or so ago and am DYING to go! So if you’re free Thursday, go check this out and support kids in music. But if you don’t have a chance, it comes back every month!
- If you’re into motorcycles, Reserve Supply is having Bike Night on Saturday from 6 — 9PM. As they say “No motorcycle, no problem! There will be plenty of two wheel goodness on hand to witness and ogle over”. Grab a drink & a taco, and head over to Reserve Supply to get your motorcycle fill.
- The Menil’s 30th Birthday Party is on Saturday from 2 — 5PM! Live music, dance performances, birthday cake, and food trucks! The perfect birthday party for the coolest lil’ museum and park in htx!
- Free Press Summer Fest is this weekend — Houston’s ultimate music festival! It’s going to be taking up much of Buffalo Bayou & Allen Parkway, so if you’re NOT attending then make sure to steer clear! 🙂
- Discovery Green will be having a movie night on Saturday from 8:45 — 11PM. They’re showing Secret Life of Pets, so I’d recommend grabbing some to-go food, a blanket, friends, and your pup and chill on the lawn Saturday night!
- Friday night from 7 — 11PM, the FM Concert Series is back with Mobley + Mind Shrine. Food, drinks, live music! Perfect Friday event.
- Sunday in the park at Discovery Green is back with live music from Vodi, from 2 — 4PM. Beer & wine available, so all you need is a blanket to lay on the lawn and soak up the (hopefully good) weather!
- DJ John Gomi will be at The Flat on Saturday night starting at 10PM. This is one of my fav lil’ places in Houston to get a good drink and people watch. The patio is pretty great too.
- Eureka Heights Brewing is having a Super Smash Bros. Tournament on Sunday from 2 — 6PM! Signup is between noon and 2 & the winner gets a 3 pack of Crowlers to celebrate their N64 victory! Plus you’ll be playing on a 20ft jumbotron…
Where to get Active:
- Black Swan Sundays at Raven Tower is back this weekend on Sunday from 10 — 11AM! Bring a mat, a towel, water, and your friends and get down to this fun yoga flow.
- Get down to some Drake while doing your yoga at the Namas-Drake class at Your Body Center on Friday from 7:30 — 8:30. 15$ if you register online and $20 at the door! Pre-party yoga, anyone?
- Want to do yoga with cats? El Gato Coffeehouse Cafe is opening their doors Saturday from 12:30 — 1:45PM to get a double dose of relaxation therapy with yoga and cats. $22 for the class + a bottomless coffee!
- #SuperSwanSaturdays is happening at Black Swan Yoga on Saturday from 5:30 — 6:30 with a Perfecting your Plank workshop. Good time to work on your core and making sure you have the perfect technique to show off in your next yoga class!
- Bayou Bikers is taking off on Sunday at 8AM to explore the bayous of Houston. These are 25 — 40mi bike rides & mountain bikes or bikes with fat tires are necessary. Meet at Market Square Park for a fun, active bike ride through Houston!
Where to get Artsy:
- Get your black & white film on at MFAH for their Jazz on Film Series, returning for it’s 5th run! Their will be two films showing this weekend — I want to live and Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser!
- A new colorful sculpture is going up at The Moody Center for the Arts at Rice University. It’s called Repeater by David Scanavino and it’s described as work that playfully skews the shape of the floor and sends it up the walls to a height of 24 feet. On Saturday from 12 — 4PM there will be food trucks, a DJ, and some other performers doing their thing in an event called Summer Jam. So this is also a good opportunity to see the new sculpture!
- Cafe Brasil is hosting First Thursdays – Short Films this Thursday from 8 — 10PM. They’ll be showing some short films on their back patio rain or shine. Free to attend and a great vibe!
- An opening party for The Propeller Group will be hosted on Friday from 7 — 9PM at The Blaffer Art Museum. The Propeller Group is a collective based in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and Los Angeles, California that blurs the line between art collective and global advertising agency.
- The Miller Outdoor Theatre is hosting METdance for a Sizzling Summer Dance concert. Go sit on the lawn or donate $20 to the met for a seat and watch as the dance company takes off, also with performances from their youth company.
- CAMH is having Open Studio – Soft Sculptures this Saturday from 2 — 4PM, where you can turn whoever you like into your own soft sculpture inspired by the exhibition “A Better Yesterday”. This sounds like a fun way to spend your Saturday afternoon. I’m in!
Tell me what you’re doing in Houston this weekend, and have an amazing first weekend of JUNE!