Usually my weekend guides are in a lot lighter tone — such as new houston restaurants to eat at, where to grab a drink with friends, local art markets that are going on. I sat with three dogs, a cat, and my boyfriend this past week watching in disbelief as Hurricane Harvey destroyed homes just streets away from us. Somehow we were unscathed, and for days we watched helicopters circle the neighborhood. After donating Monday and seeing how many people were out helping, I decided I wanted to do something a little different this weekend.
Here are a ton of events you can go to donate and help Houston in it’s time of need. Let me know if I missed anything in the comments below and I’ll add it to the list. Have a great weekend, Houston & stay dry. Also if you’re looking for a more generalized list of places to donate — here is a great list from NPR (and another from Huffington Post) with a ton of organizations that are in need.
Note: Will continue to update this with events as found.
- Until 6PM Friday, they will be accepting donations at The Space HTX near Downtown. Click the link to see what they’re in need of!
- White Oak in the heights is having a big relief Benefit tonight — including places like Fitzgeralds, Tacos A GoGo, Onion Creek, and Christian’s Tailgate. Saint Arnold’s Beer will be all over & tons of live bands!
- This weekend ALL ComedySportz shows are free and they will be taking donations of non-perishable food, toiletries, baby supplies, bedding, and packs of new underwear.
- ALSO — heard today that as of now GRB, NRG, and BBVA are short on volunteer staff and new families are starting to show up.
It’s the last weekend in August, which means that hopefully our heat wave is coming to a close. Also, lets hope we don’t get swept away this weekend by Hurricane Harvey in Houston this weekend! Make sure to check all the links to double check events haven’t been cancelled if it starts to rain! I’ll be updating as much as I can. Stay dry!
- Friday night there will be a Summer Night Market in the East End! From 6 — 10PM you can enjoy good food, local music, cool vendors & more! If it’s not raining – def be there!
- Presidio is having another market on Saturday morning from 8 — 2PM. Food, art & more and a great way to check out this awesome Heights restaurant. [Update: cancelled for hurricane harvey]
- After you leave the Presidio market you should definitely check out the Shop Local event at Karbach! They’ll be having food trucks along with local artists, designers, vintage curators, foodies & more!
- Sunday from 2 — 7PM there will be a hip hop flea market over near downtown with a live DJ, and impossible finds from previous eras whether it was the 80’s or 90’s that were all staples in the Hip Hop culture. Eats & drinks will also be available!
- Thursday stop by SteelCity Pops for PopNight! [Update: Cancelled due to Hurricane Harvey]
- Saturday from noon — 4PM you can grab some brunch at Axelrad. Who doesn’t want some taiwanese fusion brunch in their lives this hurricane weekend?
- Sunday at The Conservatory there will be a pop-up food truck taking over all day! Go check out Casian King & enjoy some awesome fusion food.
- A Pre-Oktoberfest Oktoberfest celebration will be at King’s Bierhaus on Sunday from 3 — 6PM with beer and food specials, polka music, and more!
Know what you’re doing in Houston this weekend? Good thing I’ve got you covered. See below for your specially curated HTX weekend guide this August 17 — 20 weekend!
- Head over to Platypus Brewing on Thursday night to shop handmade jewelry made by human trafficking survivors during the Brews & Beads Happy Hour event. All proceeds benefit survivor artisans in Asia & Africa.
- You’ve heard of White Linen Night, but have you heard of Dirty Linen Night on 19th? Well, it’s this Thursday! Go shop 19th in your white linen one last time before it’s not socially acceptable anymore. Complimentary drinks provided in your fav shops!
- Saturday from 6 — 10PM is Discovery Green’s Flea by Night where you can find cool, vintage stuff along with locally made items from HTX artists! Def a fun way to spend your Saturday evening.
- Raven Tower is having another shop local event this Saturday from 4 — 10PM! UH Graphic Design program will be there doing a print sale so make sure to stop by & support! Tons of other vendors, live music & more!
- Get a free margherita pizza this weekend during MidiCi’s Grand Opening on Richmond! It’s going to be packed, but I bet the pizza is worth it!
- Thursday night is the Conservatory’s Third Thursdays event where they feature a local eatery (this week is Hoppy Heat), and they’re also featuring a bunch of local breweries this week! Get over there & check out Houston’s coolest underground food hall.
- Saturday morning from 9 — 12PM, King’s Bierhaus is having their first Kolache Pop Up! They’ll be havin’ kolaches & bloody mary, mimosa specials!
- Houston’s first 2017 Food Fest is going on this Saturday at Hermann Square at City Hall from noon — 10PM! Local restaurants, eateries, & food trucks will be showcasing yum foods! Not to mention live music, entertainment and more!
- If you’re craving some BBQ, Holler Brewing Co is partnering with Feges BBQ on Saturday during their Holler for BBQ event! Starts at noon and goes to 6PM! BBQ it up!