It’s the last weekend in August, which means that hopefully our heat wave is coming to a close. Also, lets hope we don’t get swept away this weekend by Hurricane Harvey in Houston this weekend! Make sure to check all the links to double check events haven’t been cancelled if it starts to rain! I’ll be updating as much as I can. Stay dry!
- Friday night there will be a Summer Night Market in the East End! From 6 — 10PM you can enjoy good food, local music, cool vendors & more! If it’s not raining – def be there!
- Presidio is having another market on Saturday morning from 8 — 2PM. Food, art & more and a great way to check out this awesome Heights restaurant. [Update: cancelled for hurricane harvey]
- After you leave the Presidio market you should definitely check out the Shop Local event at Karbach! They’ll be having food trucks along with local artists, designers, vintage curators, foodies & more!
- Sunday from 2 — 7PM there will be a hip hop flea market over near downtown with a live DJ, and impossible finds from previous eras whether it was the 80’s or 90’s that were all staples in the Hip Hop culture. Eats & drinks will also be available!
- Thursday stop by SteelCity Pops for PopNight! [Update: Cancelled due to Hurricane Harvey]
- Saturday from noon — 4PM you can grab some brunch at Axelrad. Who doesn’t want some taiwanese fusion brunch in their lives this hurricane weekend?
- Sunday at The Conservatory there will be a pop-up food truck taking over all day! Go check out Casian King & enjoy some awesome fusion food.
- A Pre-Oktoberfest Oktoberfest celebration will be at King’s Bierhaus on Sunday from 3 — 6PM with beer and food specials, polka music, and more!
Know what you’re doing in Houston this weekend? Good thing I’ve got you covered. See below for your specially curated HTX weekend guide this August 17 — 20 weekend!
- Head over to Platypus Brewing on Thursday night to shop handmade jewelry made by human trafficking survivors during the Brews & Beads Happy Hour event. All proceeds benefit survivor artisans in Asia & Africa.
- You’ve heard of White Linen Night, but have you heard of Dirty Linen Night on 19th? Well, it’s this Thursday! Go shop 19th in your white linen one last time before it’s not socially acceptable anymore. Complimentary drinks provided in your fav shops!
- Saturday from 6 — 10PM is Discovery Green’s Flea by Night where you can find cool, vintage stuff along with locally made items from HTX artists! Def a fun way to spend your Saturday evening.
- Raven Tower is having another shop local event this Saturday from 4 — 10PM! UH Graphic Design program will be there doing a print sale so make sure to stop by & support! Tons of other vendors, live music & more!
- Get a free margherita pizza this weekend during MidiCi’s Grand Opening on Richmond! It’s going to be packed, but I bet the pizza is worth it!
- Thursday night is the Conservatory’s Third Thursdays event where they feature a local eatery (this week is Hoppy Heat), and they’re also featuring a bunch of local breweries this week! Get over there & check out Houston’s coolest underground food hall.
- Saturday morning from 9 — 12PM, King’s Bierhaus is having their first Kolache Pop Up! They’ll be havin’ kolaches & bloody mary, mimosa specials!
- Houston’s first 2017 Food Fest is going on this Saturday at Hermann Square at City Hall from noon — 10PM! Local restaurants, eateries, & food trucks will be showcasing yum foods! Not to mention live music, entertainment and more!
- If you’re craving some BBQ, Holler Brewing Co is partnering with Feges BBQ on Saturday during their Holler for BBQ event! Starts at noon and goes to 6PM! BBQ it up!
I’ve had Warby Parker Glasses for going on five years now (maybe longer) and somehow I’m only just now on my third pair. That means I went wayyyy too long without getting a new prescription. But times have changed! My third pair of Warby Parkers came in the mail this past weekend. Short story: I love them.
If you don’t know anything about Warby Parker… where have you been? Only slightly kidding. Warby Parker is a glasses store that basically brought affordable designer eyewear to the table, while also working with nonprofits to provide a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair of glasses sold! So if you buy a pair, someone else gets one! Awesome company. Other cool things to note:
- They are opening a store in Heights Mercantile (a brand new shopping mecca in the heights)!
- They have started doing eye exams in some of their stores – which is awesome for people like me who are too lazy to take multiple steps in getting glasses.
- They do a free home try-on for those of you who don’t have a local store!
My go-to frames for the past few years were the Percey style, which I honestly considered re-buying. They’re such a great shape! But I knew I wanted to try something a liiiittle different. These frames are the Begley in whiskey tortoise! Still very harry potter vibe, but a little bit more hexagonal. I’m into them, can you tell?
When I was in Austin last month, we stopped into the Warby Parker store and tried on probably a million pairs of glasses so that I knew what frames I would want. There are so many awesome pairs (like these, and these, and these) that I may start buying glasses more frequently.
You know, when I stop being a poor millennial kid.