I’ve had Warby Parker Glasses for going on five years now (maybe longer) and somehow I’m only just now on my third pair. That means I went wayyyy too long without getting a new prescription. But times have changed! My third pair of Warby Parkers came in the mail this past weekend. Short story: I love them.
If you don’t know anything about Warby Parker… where have you been? Only slightly kidding. Warby Parker is a glasses store that basically brought affordable designer eyewear to the table, while also working with nonprofits to provide a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair of glasses sold! So if you buy a pair, someone else gets one! Awesome company. Other cool things to note:
- They are opening a store in Heights Mercantile (a brand new shopping mecca in the heights)!
- They have started doing eye exams in some of their stores – which is awesome for people like me who are too lazy to take multiple steps in getting glasses.
- They do a free home try-on for those of you who don’t have a local store!
My go-to frames for the past few years were the Percey style, which I honestly considered re-buying. They’re such a great shape! But I knew I wanted to try something a liiiittle different. These frames are the Begley in whiskey tortoise! Still very harry potter vibe, but a little bit more hexagonal. I’m into them, can you tell?
When I was in Austin last month, we stopped into the Warby Parker store and tried on probably a million pairs of glasses so that I knew what frames I would want. There are so many awesome pairs (like these, and these, and these) that I may start buying glasses more frequently.
You know, when I stop being a poor millennial kid.
Hi, Houston friends! We’re back with what you should be doing in Houston this weekend!
Get ready because a LOT of it is going to be White Linen Night focused. So many local businesses and restaurants are going all out, so definitely go and enjoy them! There’s enough space for all of us (hopefully), so make your way down the list to plan your Houston weekend!
- First Saturday art market in the heights is this weekend — but it’s moonlighting as White Linen Night, so scroll down & see ALL the activities for WLN below. Hint: there are a LOT of them. But also, make sure to check out Emerson Rose, PopShop, Manready Mercantile, The Lift, & all the houston heights boutiques that are going above and beyond for WLN!
- Houston Restaurant Week has STARTED! Check out where to eat here.
- King’s Bierhaus is not only brand new, but also already involved in local initiatives. Join them Thursday evening to support the Animal Justice League. 20% of all sales will benefit the AJL!
- Have y’all been to Juice Girl on 19th street in the heights? Well they’re opening up a vegan ice cream shop on 19th street called Over the Moon, right across the hall from their juice shop. We need to try this out & hopefully it’s amazing!
- Sunday is National Root Beer Float Day, so Saint Arnolds Brewery is partnering with Fat Cat Creamery to offer you & the fam root beer floats starting at noon! Admission is free & the ice cream (and beer) will be delicious!
Lots more to eat if you scroll down to White Linen Night!
I’ve been drooling lately over Paloma Nails, a non-toxic Houston nail salon off Post Oak. It’s kiiiiiiind of beautiful. Located right around the corner from Whole Foods and right next door to North Italia (so yum), this place ushers you in with lots of natural light and even has tile on the doorstep that says Escape to beautiful. So you know it’s going to be good.
Paloma’s mission is to match beauty with wellness. They should be able to coexist. Paloma has successfully been able to exclude harmful chemicals like dibutyl phthalate (DBP), toluene, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, or camphor, which are used in traditional nail salons. This is good for our sakes, but also their technicians. Their nail colors come in a large range and are long-lasting. Their brand is gorgeous from the decor to the nail menu.
Did I mention they’re superstars at nail art? But like cool nail art, not your pre-teen self’s nail art. You know what I’m sayin’? Generally I shy away from these things but since it was my birthday weekend, I decided to get some evil eyes painted on two nails. Cause when else can you go all out? I did a blue eye to match blue toenails (i know i’m soooo crazy) with a gorgeous neutral under layer.
Also need to throw out there that they have a foolproof 18 step method. Which sounds long, but it was very enjoyable. Having hands and feet massaged is always a good thing. 😉
Can we talk about those navy plush chairs? Drool-worthy and so comfortable. I want one for my home! The technicians were so kind and accommodating that I know I’ll be back when I’m wanting to get my nails done outside my own home. DID I MENTION they’re opening another location in the heights?! Y’all know I’m sold.
Are you convinced yet that this is the coolest Houston nail salon? Where’s your favorite? Let me know in the comments!