I’ve had Warby Parker Glasses for going on five years now (maybe longer) and somehow I’m only just now on my third pair. That means I went wayyyy too long without getting a new prescription. But times have changed! My third pair of Warby Parkers came in the mail this past weekend. Short story: I love them.
If you don’t know anything about Warby Parker… where have you been? Only slightly kidding. Warby Parker is a glasses store that basically brought affordable designer eyewear to the table, while also working with nonprofits to provide a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair of glasses sold! So if you buy a pair, someone else gets one! Awesome company. Other cool things to note:
- They are opening a store in Heights Mercantile (a brand new shopping mecca in the heights)!
- They have started doing eye exams in some of their stores – which is awesome for people like me who are too lazy to take multiple steps in getting glasses.
- They do a free home try-on for those of you who don’t have a local store!
My go-to frames for the past few years were the Percey style, which I honestly considered re-buying. They’re such a great shape! But I knew I wanted to try something a liiiittle different. These frames are the Begley in whiskey tortoise! Still very harry potter vibe, but a little bit more hexagonal. I’m into them, can you tell?
When I was in Austin last month, we stopped into the Warby Parker store and tried on probably a million pairs of glasses so that I knew what frames I would want. There are so many awesome pairs (like these, and these, and these) that I may start buying glasses more frequently.
You know, when I stop being a poor millennial kid.
Hi, Houston friends! We’re back with what you should be doing in Houston this weekend!
Get ready because a LOT of it is going to be White Linen Night focused. So many local businesses and restaurants are going all out, so definitely go and enjoy them! There’s enough space for all of us (hopefully), so make your way down the list to plan your Houston weekend!
- First Saturday art market in the heights is this weekend — but it’s moonlighting as White Linen Night, so scroll down & see ALL the activities for WLN below. Hint: there are a LOT of them. But also, make sure to check out Emerson Rose, PopShop, Manready Mercantile, The Lift, & all the houston heights boutiques that are going above and beyond for WLN!
- Houston Restaurant Week has STARTED! Check out where to eat here.
- King’s Bierhaus is not only brand new, but also already involved in local initiatives. Join them Thursday evening to support the Animal Justice League. 20% of all sales will benefit the AJL!
- Have y’all been to Juice Girl on 19th street in the heights? Well they’re opening up a vegan ice cream shop on 19th street called Over the Moon, right across the hall from their juice shop. We need to try this out & hopefully it’s amazing!
- Sunday is National Root Beer Float Day, so Saint Arnolds Brewery is partnering with Fat Cat Creamery to offer you & the fam root beer floats starting at noon! Admission is free & the ice cream (and beer) will be delicious!
Lots more to eat if you scroll down to White Linen Night!
Guess what, Houstonians? It’s my birthday weekend! That doesn’t mean I’ve skimped on all the things to do, as usual there’s a lot going on in Houston this weekend! Critical mass is this Friday, Presidio is hosting their first market, Axelrad is doing ALL the things, and LOTS more! Lets get planning your houston weekend!
- Sawyer Yards is killing it this summer with events almost every weekend, and this one is no different with their Summer Series Art Stroll & Sale on Friday from 5 — 9PM! Meet new artists while enjoying live music, food trucks and summer cocktails!
- Presidio is having their first Saturday morning market from 9 — 11AM. They’ll be selling produce, art, music & more! Can’t wait to check this out. If you haven’t been yet, def go for the market but also go for a cocktail later in the evening & maybe even some bites!
- Go to Axelrad on Saturday and check out BARC’s pups up for adoption! Babies need homes and happy houston families! This Brew Dogs Foster event will go from noon — 4PM!
- Saturday from 2 — 8PM the Waugh Flea market will be up and runnin’. Sip, shop, repeat.
- OKAY, Axlerad, we get it. You’re cool. Thursday night from 6 — 11PM there’s a Thai Style Fried Chicken Pop Up! YUM. K. We’ll be there. Except it’s my birthday, but otherwise!
- The Dunlavy is having their champagne and sorbet pop up happy hour Thursday starting at 2PM and going all the way to 9PM! Sorbet cocktails & reg cocktail specials all night!
- Want tamales? Axelrad and The Hot Damn Tamale Factory got you covered Friday night! Starting at 6PM — tamales & live music! Can’t go wrong!
- If you’re into beer & steak, I know where you’re going to want to be on Friday night. Beer Market Co. on Studemont for their Steak Night & The World Tour of Beer, plus Rock ‘n Roll Bingo! Starting at 6PM, you can win all the prizes and enjoy a live DJ!
- It’s the LAST weekend this month, so sadly that means that National Hot Dog Month is almost over. Good thing Good Dog has their finale of tap takeovers with Houston’s fav brewery, Saint Arnolds. Check it out on Saturday from 12 — 6PM!
- Sunday from 2 — 8PM Holler Brewing Co & Feges BBQ are banding up once again for their Holler for BBQ event! It’s the last Sunday pop-up so make sure you get out there and go this weekend if you haven’t yet! Starts at 2PM and goes till it’s gone!
- On Sunday Southern Goods is hosting a Flesh & Bone Brunch which sounds kinda gross, but they’re cohosting with The Houston Zombie Walk, so it makes sense. All you can eat buffet, cocktail specials, and a zombie horde just for YOU! Classic Sunday morning.